Interoperop between py-libp2p and go-libp2p

Hi,

I am trying to test the python libp2p implement to see if I can interoperate with a go-based libp2p swarm. I wrote the attached pretty dumb code that I run with this command:

python3 ./p2pctl ping /ip4/152.228.215.158/tcp/4001/p2p/QmRVKwsrdjjXBjf6o2SyavVmYS9PkSVx7XGUNGFFyvEy34

(the above multiaddr is the address of a running test node using go-libp2p).

I know I am not going to do much with the remote node because it implements a set of custom protocols but I was hoping to be able to at least establish a noise connection to this node. What happens when I run this code is this:

I am QmYfkik6m8CqXFxeJFfgGMHkJhSuHVQPziGPUDp5Y8uDB2
libp2p.exceptions.MultiError: [SwarmException('failed to upgrade mux for peer QmSh5LAWMAMESCGxQbx18nkxeZqrR4MdPucqns1cErcC9C')]

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mathieu/code/agent-swarm/./p2pctl", line 56, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/mathieu/code/agent-swarm/./p2pctl", line 53, in main
    args.func(args)
  File "/home/mathieu/code/agent-swarm/./p2pctl", line 32, in _ping_function
    trio.run(_run, args.maddr)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/site-packages/trio/_core/_run.py", line 2010, in run
    raise runner.main_task_outcome.error
  File "/home/mathieu/code/agent-swarm/./p2pctl", line 29, in _run
    await host.connect(info)
  File "/home/mathieu/code-oss/py-libp2p/libp2p/host/basic_host.py", line 213, in connect
    await self._network.dial_peer(peer_info.peer_id)
  File "/home/mathieu/code-oss/py-libp2p/libp2p/network/swarm.py", line 180, in dial_peer
    raise SwarmException(
libp2p.network.exceptions.SwarmException: unable to connect to QmSh5LAWMAMESCGxQbx18nkxeZqrR4MdPucqns1cErcC9C, no addresses established a successful connection (with exceptions)

I tracked this down to fact that the remote is telling me it does not support mplex/6.7.0 (I get a PROTOCOL_NOT_FOUND_MSG)

The remote is running go-libp2p v0.29.2 which, as far as I can tell, is the last version that was released with support for mplex so, I was hoping this would work. Is there something special that might need to be done to enable mplex in that version of go-libp2p ?

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import argparse
import sys
import random

import trio
import multiaddr
import libp2p
import libp2p.security.noise.transport as noise

def _ping_function(args):
    async def _run(maddr):
        key_pair = libp2p.crypto.rsa.create_new_key_pair() # this is what the remote is using.
        noise_privkey = libp2p.crypto.ed25519.create_new_key_pair().private_key
        host = libp2p.new_host(
            key_pair=key_pair,
            sec_opt={noise.PROTOCOL_ID: noise.Transport(
                libp2p_keypair=key_pair,
                noise_privkey=key_pair.private_key 
            )}
        )
        listen_addr = multiaddr.Multiaddr(f"/ip4/0.0.0.0/tcp/0")
        async with host.run(listen_addrs=[listen_addr]):
            print(f"I am {host.get_id().to_string()}")
            maddr = multiaddr.Multiaddr(args.maddr)
            info = libp2p.peer.peerinfo.info_from_p2p_addr(maddr)
            await host.connect(info)

try:
        trio.run(_run, args.maddr)
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
        pass

def main():
    parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()
    subparsers = parser.add_subparsers(required=True)

ping = subparsers.add_parser('ping', help='Check health')
    ping.add_argument('maddr', help='Multiaddr of the remote host to ping')
    ping.set_defaults(func=_ping_function)

args = parser.parse_args()

args.func(args)

main()

Mathieu

Digging into this more led be to discover that even though mplex was present in 0.29.2, it needed to be explicitly enabled when instanciating the libp2p host.

I guess I need to add yamux support to py-libp2p then.

Hello @hivenet-mathieu,

I’m glad to see you’re trying to use py-libp2p. It was recently revived back in March of this year and it just made its first release in 2 years. The effort is being lead by @pacrob with the help of two other developers. Come find me on TG or Discord: @dwgrantham and I’ll get you connected with the other py-libp2p developers.

The next py-libp2p developer meeting is coming up on August 22nd: py-libp2p Open Maintainers Call · Luma That’s also a great opportunity to meet the other developers.

I know that I truly appreciate any help you’re willing to put into py-libp2p. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help you.

Cheers! :beers:
Dave